Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
download m phil computer science thesis

FPGA implementations of data mining algorithms

Abstract

In recent decades there has been an exponential growth in quantity of collected data. Various data mining procedures have been developed to extract information from such large amounts of data. Handling ever increasing amount of data generates increasing demand for computing power. There are several ways of dealing with this demand, such as multiprocessor systems, and use of graphic processing units (GPU). Another way is use of field programmable gate array (FPGA) devices as hardware accelerators. This paper gives a survey of the application of FPGAs as hardware accelerators for data mining. Three data mining algorithms were selected for this survey: classification and regression trees, support vector machines, and k-means clustering. A literature review and analysis of FPGA implementations was conducted for the three selected algorithms. Conclusions on methods of implementation, common problems and limitations, and means of overcoming them were drawn from the analysis.

INTRODUCTION

Thanks to development of computer systems and its applications, the last several decades have been marked by exponential growth of collected data in all areas of human activity. To deal with this continuous and increasing influx of data it was necessary to develop computational methods for extracting information and discovering knowledge. Computational process of non-trivial information extraction is called data mining. Data mining makes use of methods from closely related fields such as statistics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, pattern recognition and databases. With most data mining methods, the quantity of data directly impacts computational load. High computational loads occur because many problems include large quantities of data and require carrying out complex computations in many-dimensional space. The issue of computational load is a significant one. Quantity of collected data continually increases which implies that available compute power must increase to keep up with it.

SELECTED ALGORITHMS

A. Classification and Regression Trees Classification and regression tree (CART) is a decision and regression tree learning algorithm. In decision trees the output is a prediction on class to which the data item belongs. In regression trees the output is a real number, and the tree represents an approximation of the function that maps input data to predicted outcome. One other well known decision tree learning algorithm is C4.5. Decision trees are easy to interpret, can readily be converted into a set of if-then rules, and can work with incomplete data.

K-means clustering FPGA implementations of k-means clustering are primarily focused on image and video processing applications. Research is for the most part focused on computation of distance metric, which is the most computationally intensive part of the algorithm. Estlick et al. [13] considered two modifications of the algorithm which could increase the available parallelism: alternative distance metrics, and smaller word width of input vectors. Alternative metrics were experimentally evaluated and the Manhattan distance i xi i was found to be the most suitable with respect to quality of clustering and complexity of implementation. Experimentally was demonstrated that input data word width can be significantly decreased without adversely affecting clustering quality.

CONCLUSION

FPGA platform can be used as accelerator in data mining processes. It has great potential for use in data mining applications and computing in general, and especially in embedded systems. FPGA s flexibility and programmability enables implementation of optimal computer architecture for each specific task. From this literature survey we conclude that FPGA platform performs well as a hardware accelerator.

download m phil computer science thesis

PhD candidates: You are welcome and encouraged to deposit your dissertation here, but be aware that
1) it is optional, not required (the ProQuest deposit is required); and
2) it will be available to everyone on the Internet; there is no embargo for dissertations in the UNL DigitalCommons.

Master's candidates: Deposit of your thesis is required. If an embargo is necessary, you may deposit the thesis at http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/embargotheses/ with the prior approval of your department and the Graduate Office (contact Terri Eastin).

All depositors: We try to observe a 24-hour "cooling off" period to give you opportunity to correct those "oops" issues that seem to emerge just after deposit.
Upon deposit, you will immediately receive an email that your submission has been received (and this is what you need to show the Graduate Office).
However, you can still log back in and select Revise and upload a new version with your advisor's name spelled right, or your mother thanked in the Acknowledgments, or whatever you're stressing about.
After about a day, your submission will be "published" or "posted", making it available to the Internet; you will get another email to that effect, and your submission can no longer be changed--by you.
If further changes are needed, these can be made by sending a revised file to the administrator < [email protected] > requesting replacement of the current online version. DO NOT RESUBMIT YOUR THESIS / DISSERTATION. That creates duplicate records, confusion, wasted effort, frustration, sadness, tears, and causes kittens to get sick.

Finally: Congratulations; you are almost there. Click the "Submit your paper or article" page link at the bottom of the gray box at left. Follow the instructions. You should be able to copy (Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) most fields.
You are the sole author; your advisor is not considered a co-author.
Your institution is "University of Nebraska-Lincoln" (not "at Lincoln" or ", Lincoln"). Do not leave it blank; then the administrator has to fill it in, and he is tempted to make it something silly.
You do not need to repeat your name and title in the Abstract field; just the body of the abstract.
When you reach the question "Was this submission previously published in a journal?", just skip that part.
Be sure to click the "Submit" button at the bottom. Files upload at the rate of about 5 Mb per minute, so if you have an ungodly large file, it may take a bit of time. If your file exceeds 40 Mb, think about reducing its size--there are many ways; Google "reduce pdf file size" to find some.

Gagner Technologies Offers M.E Projects Based On IEE 2014 . M.Phil Research Projects,Final Year Projects, M.E Projects 2014-2015, Mini Projects 2014-2015, Real Time Projects, Final Year Projects For BE ECE, CSE, IT, MCA, B TECH, ME, M SC (IT), BCA, BSC CSE, IT IEE 2014 Projects In Data Mining, Distributed System, Mobile Computing, Networks, Networking. IEE2014-2015 Projects. Final Year Projects At Chennai, IEE Software Projects, Engineering Projects, MCA Projects, BE Projects, JAVA Projects, J2EE Projects, .NET Projects, Students Projects, Final Year Student Projects, IEE Projects 2014-2015, Real Time Projects, Final Year Projects For BE ECE, CSE, IT, MCA, B TECH, ME, M SC (IT), BCA, BSC CSE, IT,Software Engineering,NS2 Projects,Mechanical Projects,VLSI Projects,Matlab Projects
For More Details Contact Below Address
No 1,South Dhandapani Street(Opposite To T.Nagar Bus Stand),T.Nagar,Chennai-17
Call:8680939422,9962221452
Mail To:[email protected]

topics to research in computer science m.phil

Artificial Intelligence
Biomedical Informatics
Big Data
Computational & Synthetic Biology
Computer Architecture
Computer Graphics, Vision, Animation, and Game Science
Computing for Development
Clustering based new data
Data Management
Human Computer Interaction
Machine Learning
Natural Language Processing
Programming Languages and Software Engineering
Robotics
Security and Privacy
Systems and Networking
Theory of Computation
Ubiquitous Computing
Wireless and Sensor Systems

Artificial Intelligence
Biomedical Informatics
Big Data
Computational & Synthetic Biology
Computer Architecture
Computer Graphics, Vision, Animation, and Game Science
Computing for Development
Clustering based new data
Data Management
Human Computer Interaction
Machine Learning
Natural Language Processing
Programming Languages and Software Engineering
Robotics
Security and Privacy
Systems and Networking
Theory of Computation
Ubiquitous Computing
Wireless and Sensor Systems

Your PhD in Computer Science allows you to work with our world-leading research staff in the Department of Computer Science at York. You will complete in three years full-time and six years part-time. You can also choose to complete an MPhil, and for this qualification you will complete your research over two years full-time or four years part-time.

Hello there,

I'm working on Image processing and in text extraction from printed / hand written content. So First of all i'm not able to find a path in any direction.

So it will be great help if you could provide some reference or direction.

And i want to complete my m.phill as soon as possible.

would like to get details on download m phil computer science thesis ..My friend Justin said download m phil computer science thesis will be available here and now i am living at .. and i last studied in the college/school .. and now am doing ..i need help on ..etc

i am sundar i need mphil thesis full report on big data analytic