Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hierarchical Sampling from Sketches: Estimating Functions over Data Streams

Abstract.
We present a randomized procedure named Hierarchical Sampling from Sketches (HSS) that can be used for estimating a class of functions over the frequency vector f of update streams of the form (S) = Pn i=1 ( fi ).We illustrate this by applying the HSS technique to design nearly space-optimal algorithms for estimating the pth moment of the frequency vector, for real p _ 2 and for estimating the entropy of a data stream. 3
1 Introduction
A variety of applications in diverse areas, such as, networking, database systems, sensor networks, web-applications, share some common characteristics, namely, that data is generated rapidly and continuously, and must be analyzed in real-time and in a single-pass over the data to identify large trends, anomalies, user-defined exception conditions, etc.. Furthermore, it is frequently sufficient to continuously track the big picture , or, an aggregate view of the data. In this context, efficient and approximate computation with bounded error probability is often acceptable. The data stream model presents a computational model for such applications, where, incoming data is processed in an online fashion using sub-linear space. 1.1 The data stream model A data stream S is viewed as a sequence of records of the form (pos, i, v), where, pos is the index of the record in the sequence, i is the identity of an item in [1, n] = {1, . . . , n}, and v is the change to the frequency of the item. v > 0 indicates an insertion of multiplicity v, while v < 0 indicates a corresponding deletion. The frequency of an item i, denoted by fi, is the sum of the changes to the frequency of i since the inception of the stream.

Download full report
http://googleurl?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ve...%2Fhss.pdf&ei=Z7dETpeUL8iGrAeQ_qTXAw&usg=AFQjCNGWvY-RrKeLs_OPHNYnTPAfdYnaXw&sig2=TzwDEJD_NBSE7jsJsGiPZg