Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access)

El Ayoubi Ahmed
Hjiaj Karim

Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA)

Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) technology provides access to GSM and GPRS mobile services over wireless networks based on unlicensed spectrum technologies, e.g. Bluetooth and IEE 802.11 networks.
By deploying UMA technology, service providers can enable subscribers to roam and perform seamless handovers between cellular networks and public and private unlicensed wireless networks, and to use for instance SIM/AuC authentication also in the wireless networks, using dual-mode handsets.

Roaming vs. portability

Roaming means that it is possible to use a terminal when moving from one network to another. Additional features (mobility, security) that involve cooperation between network operators or service providers are usually supported, due to roaming agreements between these operators or service providers.

Portability means that it is possible to use a terminal anywhere in a certain network (e.g. WLAN). However, when moving to another network, mobility or security features are not automatically maintained.

Terminal vs. personal mobility
Terminal mobility means the ability of the network to locate a mobile terminal, route incoming or outgoing calls (or packet sessions) regardless of the point of attachment to the network, and maintain connections while the terminal moves around in the network.

Personal mobility means that a person can be reached via any one of several terminals (that can be located at different places) using a single address (e.g. SIP address). This concept has not been widely used yet.

How UMA Technology Works

A mobile subscriber with a UMA-enabled, dual-mode handset moves within range of an unlicensed wireless network to which the handset is allowed to connect.

Upon connecting, the handset contacts the UMA Network Controller (UNC) over the broadband IP access network to be authenticated and authorized to access GSM voice and GPRS data services via the unlicensed wireless network.

for more:
http://docs.googleviewer?a=v&q=cache:ThV...qyLlc5su9Q

UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) is an industry collaboration to extend GSM and GPRS services nto customer sites by utilizing unlicensed radio technologies such as Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) and Bluetooth?. This is achieved by tunnelling GSM and GPRS protocols through a broadband IP network towards the Access Point situated in the customer site and across the unlicensed radio page link to the mobile device.
Thus UMA provides an additional access network to the existing GERAN (GSM EDGE Radio Access Network) and UTRAN (UMTS Terrestrial Radio Access Network).

please read http://seminarsprojects.net/Thread-unlic...ile-access for getting more information regarding UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access)

i hope you enjoyed it
if yes,i welcomes you to participate in this forum discussions for helping other students issues

I am Mary from Trivandrum..I want to know about the topic UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) for taking a seminars..So kindly provide me with the report and abstract..

i want the full seminar report for the topic unlicensed mobile access..please..