Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
parallel operation of alternator ppt

3-16depends mainly on three things: the number of conductors in series per winding, the speed(alternator rpm) at which the magnetic field cuts the winding, and the strength of the magnetic field.Any of these three factors could be used to control the amount of voltage induced in the alternatorwindings.The number of windings, of course, is fixed when the alternator is manufactured. Also, if the outputfrequency is required to be of a constant value, then the speed of the rotating field must be held constant.This prevents the use of the alternator rpm as a means of controlling the voltage output. Thus, the onlypractical method for obtaining voltage control is to control the strength of the rotating magnetic field. Thestrength of this electromagnetic field may be varied by changing the amount of current flowing throughthe field coil. This is accomplished by varying the amount of voltage applied across the field cod.Q20. How is output voltage controlled in practical alternators?PARALLEL OPERATION OF ALTERNATORSAlternators are connected in parallel to increase the output capacity of a system beyond that of asingle unit, serve as additional reserve power for expected demands, or permit shutting down onemachine and cutting in a standby machine without interrupting power distribution. When alternators areof sufficient size, and are operating at different frequencies and terminal voltages, severe damage mayresult if they are suddenly connected to each other through a common bus. To avoid this, the machinesmust be synchronized as closely as possible before connecting them together. This may be accomplishedby connecting one generator to the bus (referred to as bus generator), and then synchronizing the other(incoming generator) to it before closing the incoming generator s main power contactor. The generatorsare synchronized when the following conditions are set:1. Equal terminal voltages. This is obtained by adjustment of the incoming generator s fieldstrength.2. Equal frequency. This is obtained by adjustment of the incoming generator s prime-moverspeed.3. Phase voltages in proper phase relation. The procedure for synchronizing generators is notdiscussed in this chapter. At this point, it is enough for you to know that the above must beaccomplished to prevent damage to the machines.

Hi am umesh i would like to get details on parallel operation of alternator ppt ..My friend milind said parallel operation of alternator ppt will be available here and now i am living at .. and i last studied in the college .. and now am doing..i need help..

[-]
Quick Reply