Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
actitime scenarios for integration testing

Integration testing (sometimes called integration and testing, abbreviated I&T) is the phase in software testing in which individual software modules are combined and tested as a group. It occurs after unit testing and before validation testing. Integration testing takes as its input modules that have been unit tested, groups them in larger aggregates, applies tests defined in an integration test plan to those aggregates, and delivers as its output the integrated system ready for system testing.[1]

Purpose

The purpose of integration testing is to verify functional, performance, and reliability requirements placed on major design items. These "design items", i.e., assemblages (or groups of units), are exercised through their interfaces using black box testing, success and error cases being simulated via appropriate parameter and data inputs. Simulated usage of shared data areas and inter-process communication is tested and individual subsystems are exercised through their input interface. Test cases are constructed to test whether all the components within assemblages interact correctly, for example across procedure calls or process activations, and this is done after testing individual modules, i.e., unit testing. The overall idea is a "building block" approach, in which verified assemblages are added to a verified base which is then used to support the integration testing of further assemblages.
Software Integration Testing is performed according to the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) after module and functional tests. The cross-dependencies for software integration testing are: schedule for integration testing, strategy and selection of the tools used for integration, define the cyclomatical complexity of the software and software architecture, reusability of modules and life-cycle / versioning management.
Some different types of integration testing are big bang, top-down, and bottom-up, mixed (sandwich) and risky - hardest. Other Integration Patterns[2] are: Collaboration Integration, Backbone Integration, Layer Integration, Client/Server Integration, Distributed Services Integration and High-frequency Integration.

Big Bang

In this approach, most of the developed modules are coupled together to form a complete software system or major part of the system and then used for integration testing. The Big Bang method is very effective for saving time in the integration testing process. However, if the test cases and their results are not recorded properly, the entire integration process will be more complicated and may prevent the testing team from achieving the goal of integration testing.
A type of Big Bang Integration testing is called Usage Model testing. Usage Model testing can be used in both software and hardware integration testing. The basis behind this type of integration testing is to run user-like workloads in integrated user-like environments. In doing the testing in this manner, the environment is proofed, while the individual components are proofed indirectly through their use. Usage Model testing takes an optimistic approach to testing, because it expects to have few problems with the individual components. The strategy relies heavily on the component developers to do the isolated unit testing for their product. The goal of the strategy is to avoid redoing the testing done by the developers, and instead flesh-out problems caused by the interaction of the components in the environment. For integration testing, Usage Model testing can be more efficient and provides better test coverage than traditional focused functional integration testing. To be more efficient and accurate, care must be used in defining the user-like workloads for creating realistic scenarios in exercising the environment. This gives confidence that the integrated environment will work as expected for the target customers.

Integration testing (sometimes called integration and testing, abbreviated I&T) is the phase in software testing in which individual software modules are combined and tested as a group. It occurs after unit testing and before validation testing. Integration testing takes as its input modules that have been unit tested, groups them in larger aggregates, applies tests defined in an integration test plan to those aggregates, and delivers as its output the integrated system ready for system testing.
Another extreme is that all programmers are integrated one by one, and a test is carried out after each step.
The incremental approach has the advantage that the defects are found early in a smaller assembly when it is relatively easy to detect the cause.
A disadvantage is that it can be time-consuming since stubs and drivers have to be developed and used in the test.
Within incremental integration testing a range of possibilities exist, partly depending on the system architecture.

Functional incremental: Integration and testing takes place on the basis of the functions and functionalities, as documented in the functional specification.

Integration testing (sometimes called integration and testing, abbreviated I&T) is the phase in software testing in which individual software modules are combined and tested as a group. It occurs after unit testing and before validation testing.

Hi I am Rahul Kulkarni i am persuing software testing course and i need scenarios on actitime sofftware to practice and enhance my skills..

[-]
Quick Reply