Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kerala psc part 575(PARTS OF SPEECH - IDENTIFICATION 6)

There are a number of verbs which are not normally used in the present continuous tense. These are

a.verbs of perception : see, hear, smell, notice
b.verbs used to express feelings or states of mind: want, desire, wish, refuse, forgive, care, hate, like, admire, love
c.verbs involving the process of thinking:
feel, know, mean, remember, forget, recall, etc.
d.verbs denoting possession: have, own, belong, possess
e.verbs such as:
contain, consist, keep, seems, cost
When some of the verbs listed above are used in the present continuous tense, their meanings change.
1.I see several mistakes in this book.
I am seeing the principal at 3 P.M. (meeting)
2.We hear several rumours about the Minister The judge is hearing about the missing case tomorrow, (conducting the trial).
3.I have a house at Malakpet (taking) L.H. 2.
The following sentences are wrong
1.lam loving that girl, (love ✔ )
2.They are understanding the lesson, (understand ✔)
3.I am slowly understanding you (wrong)
I have begun to understand you (right)
4.I am having a telephone at my residence, (have ✔)
Do not use present perfect tense (has or have) when time is specified (eg. last year, 1994, this morning, etc) in the sentence.
Examples:
I have seen this film last year (incorrect)
I saw this film last year (correct)
Also note that for and since are commonly used with the present perfect tense. 'For' shows length of time and 'since' shows some point of time in the past as being the starting point of the action or event.
Examples:
1.My friend has lived in Hyderabad for twenty years. (He still lives here)
2.These monuments have been here since 1650 A.D. (still they are here)
The following are some time expressions which go with the simple past and some that go with the present perfect.
Simple Past Tense   Present Perfect Tense
yesterday                              so far
a week ago                           since  
last Tuesday                         lately   
recently
Note the difference in meaning between the two following sentences:
Dr. Mohan lived in Delhi for fifteen years, (in the past)
Dr. Mohan has lived in Delhi for fifteen years, (still Dr. Mohan lives in Delhi)
Past Progressive Tense:
1.The past progressive (continuous) tense expresses an action that was in progress at a point of time in the past, having begun before that point and probably continuing after it.
Examples:
a.I was reading the newspaper at 7 a.m. this morning.
b.I was having my breakfast at 9 a.m.
2.The Past Progressive tense expresses an action continuing over a period of time in the past.
Example:
The students in the hostel were listening to the cricket commentary the whole of yesterday.
3.The past continuous tense describes two or more actions going on at the same time; often the conjunction 'while' is used to connect the clauses.
Example:
While some boys were reading in the library the others were playing in the play ground.
Past Perfect Tense:
This tense is used when we wish to emphasise the sequence of the two actions in the past, and when that earlier action has some relation to the later action or situation.
Examples:
1.On reaching the school I found that I had forgotten to bring my English textbook.
2.When we reached the theatre, the play had begun already.
3.I had to borrow some money from a friend of mine, since I had lost my purse.
The Future Tense:

There are several ways of expressing future time in English.
One of the most common ways to express this is to use shall or will with the bare forms of the verb : shall come, will go, etc. But there are other ways of expressing the future:
Example:
Our cricket team leaves for Bombay this evening. They play two matches in Bombay. They play one at Poona. They return next Monday.
In these sentences the present simple tense is used to express a series of intended or planned actions in future.
1.The P.M is visiting the city tomorrow
2.The college team is playing a cricket/match with the city team next Sunday.
The Present Continuous tense:
The Present Continuous tense is used in these sentences to express a future event. Usually the time is mentioned (tomorrow, next Sunday, etc) and it is in the near future. Note that the verbs go and come are not usually used with going to . We don't say, for instance, He is going to go to Bombay tomorrow; we say, He is going to Bombay tomorrow.
Special expressions to indicate future .
1.The train is about to leave
2.The President is about to speak
This construction be about to + verb expresses events whose happening is imminent, that is, which are likely to happen in a very short while.
1.I am to be at a meeting at 5 O'clock.
2.There is to be an enquiry into the railway accident.
In these sentences the form be + to + the base form of the verb is used to express a duty or necessity or planned course of action, in the future.
RULES REGARDING THE USE OF VERBS
SUBJECT AND VERB CONCORD (AGREEMENT)
General rule: In English, the verb must agree with its subject in number and person. In other words, the verb must be of the same number and person as the subject.
Note: In the correction of sentences part of many competitive examinations the S - V concord is usually tested.
Rule 1:
When two subjects are joined by 'and', the verb is plural. 
My friend and his father often go abroad.
Rule 2:
When two singular nouns joined by and refer to the same person or thing, the verb is singular.
The secretary and treasurer has been arrested. The District Magistrate and Collector is on leave today.
Notes: i.Article 'The' article is used only once when the two nouns refer to the same person or thing.
ii.lf the two nouns refer to different persons or things, article 'The' is used before each noun. In such cases, the verb will be in the plural form.
Example:
The Secretary and the president have been given warm welcome.
Rule 3:
If two different singular nouns express one idea, the verb should be in the singular form.
Bread and milk js good for breakfast.'
Rice and curry is my favourite dish.
The ebb and flow of tides is now over.
Rule 4:
When two singular subjects are practically synonymous the verb should be in the singular form.
The law and order situation in the state is under control.
His power and influence is on the decline.
Power and position has no charm for my friend. 
Peace and prosperity is the need of the day.
Rule 5:
If two singular subjects (combined by and) are preceded by each or every , the verb should be in the singular.
Every boy and girl was present in the class yesterday.
Examples:

(i)A number of students are going to the class picnic.
(ii)The number of days in a week is seven.
(iii)The number of residents who have been residing in this colony is quite small.
(iv)A number of the applicants have already been interviewed.
Rule 13:
Collective nouns indicating time, money, and measurements used as a whole are singular and take a singular verb.
Twenty-five rupees is not such a big amount for him. Two miles is too much for this man to run.
Rule 14:
When a lot of. a great deal of. plenty of. most of. and some of refer to number, a plural verb is used. Example:
A lot of people were present in the gallery.
Some of the students were absent.
Note: If these expressions refer to an amount, the verb is in the singular number.
Examples:
A lot of work has to be completed before we go. A great deal of work has been finished.
Rule 15:
When the percentage or a part of something is mentioned with plural meaning the plural verb is used.
Example:
30% of Indian women are literate.
Three-quarters of the food has been eaten. (Here the reference is to the food as a whole.)
Rule 16:
'Barracks', headquarters, 'whereabouts' 'alms' etc. take a singular verb, as well as the plural verb.
The headquarters of the UNO is/are New York.
Rule 17:
In sports, while referring to the players, the name of the country is followed by plural verb.
England have won the World Cup.
V
Rule 18:
When the 'enemy' is used in the sense "armed forces" of a nation with which one's country is at war, we have to use the plural verb:
The enemy were forced to retreat.
Exercise -11
Correct the mistakes relating to the use of verbs in the sentences given below.
1.Measles have broken out in the town.
2.The 'Arabian Nights' are an interesting book.
3.Five miles are not a long distance for me to walk.
4.The cost of all essential commodities have gone up.
5.The construction of these buildings have taken four years.
6.There are a bunch of keys on the table.
7.A pious man and good neighbour have died.
8.Bread and milk are my only food for today.
9.Sanjay as well as his brothers have gone home.
10.The notorious dacoit with his followers have escaped.